Capital Division Events
THE COMPANY OF MASTER MARINERS OF CANADA CAPITAL DIVISION
P.O. Box 56104 407 Laurier Avenue West Ottawa, Ontario KlR 7Z1
Capt. Iskandar will hold a Divisional Council Meeting, Noon, Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019, at the Sir. John A. Prime purposes would be to discuss Captain Iskandar’s proposals for policies of the Division, the recent National AGM in Ottawa and the recent National Council Exchanges (recent NCM meeting – telephone).
CALL FOR DIVISIONAL COUNCIL MEETING –
WEDNESDAY Oct. 30, 2019, Draft Agenda
An initial agenda is suggested as:
– Agree we have a quorum
– Agree agenda
– Comments of the recent National AGM in Ottawa
Captain Iskandar has requested the following:
-Prepare and think for a general strategy and operational path going forward.
-Confirmation of things present officers are doing, want to do and appointment of other officers as necessary,
-Divisional meetings (National has 3 teleconference and 2 face to face – suggest 5 meetings to prepare for the National meetings plus 2 or 3 social including a Xmas get together.)
-Members treatment of: Unpaid members, out of town members, (Ontario, Quebec, BC)
-Divisional report to National.
-Finances: present, (National wants a back up person to the treasurer and Divisional Master to be up to date) (Guidance there are a lot of people doing important things for the organization with no apparent back up. They want either a backup or a committee going forward. God forbid, the crude reason was “What happens if that person is run over by a bus”)
Preparation of a Budget/cash-flow,
– Report on last NCM’s
– Laying of the Company wreath Nov. 11, 2019
– Winter get-together.
– Any other business
Any comments/additions to the draft agenda gladly received. All Members are reminded that they are invited and, indeed, welcomed to attend. We hope to see you. The time is “noon” and the venue is:
The Sir John A Pub
284 Elgin Street
The meetings normally run 60/90 minutes.
Busses are free for Seniors on Wednesdays!
“Captain Iskandar’s additional thoughts on any processes involved.
**Strategy (Master plan)
-Things that present officers are doing and things they want to add or subtract. For those that want to be more involved, need ideas of what else we want to do so that we can all get involved.
-What number of meetings wud seem more comfortable and where to hold them.
– Who wud like to be assisting or second our treasurer.
– Ideas to augment our financial position. So that we can do more things. (Government grants, Major companies or foundations that support marine non-profits).
-Quebec members may form a Division in Montreal or Rimouski. In the meantime they are not really properly attended to. Capt. Ivan Lantz’s term with National has expired and has expressed a wish to be more involved in our workings.Can we nominate him as Deputy Divisional Master (Quebec region) to assist with the Quebec members.
-What can we do for the other (out of Ottawa) members?
-How much do we want to get involved with National projects such as mentoring, ice cap etc?
Once we have a clear Strategy/Master plan. In ensuing meetings we can discuss tactical ways to achieve the agreed upon goals and finally set up a routine but dynamic operational path going forward.”
Brian D. Thorne
Div. Sec. Oct. 14, 2019
THE COMPANY OF MASTER MARINERS OF CANADA
Minutes of the Divisional Council Meeting October 30, 2019, held at the
Sir John A. Pub, 284, Elgin Street, Ottawa.
Draft 1 – For comments of those present
Then for approval at the next Divisional Council Meeting.
Present: Captains:- George Iskandar (Master) David Jenkins (Treasurer),George Legge (National Officer), Chris Parfett (National Officer) Ian Marr (National Officer)and Brian Thorne (Secretary).
1. Quorum. There being a quorum, the meeting commenced at 1210 hrs.
Capt. Jenkins pointed out that the definition of a Quorum was “5 Members or more”. But he pointed out that for “Small Divisions” 3 members would suffice. He assumed we would be judged to be a Small Division.
2. Agenda. Draft approved with the addition of “Other Business” – items:
– Battle of the Atlantic – Captain Brooks information concerning the event was to be incorporated.
– Captain John Daniels. It was agreed that his membership as an honorary member should be placed on record.
– Captain Iskandar wished to consider – the last National AGM, a Master Plan for the Division and for each Officer to identify their responsibilities in the Division. The Company requires each with specific responsibilities to have a designated back-up.
3. Regrets. Were received from Capt. Tom Brooks, away with a heavy cold.
4. Minutes for last meeting – As there has been no meeting of recent note, none were presented.
5. Responsibilities of Capital Division’s Officers with their designated back-ups.
– G. Iskandar – Master
– T. Brooks – Deputy Master and Web Master
– B. Thorne – Secretary. Backup – G. Legge
– D. Jenkins – Treasurer and Membership Officer. Back-up C. Parfett
– G. Legge – Liaison Officer with D.N.D.
– I. Marr – Divisional Historian and Advisor
– C. Parfett – Officer at Large
6. Divisional Meetings
Captain Iskandar commenced this topic:
– It was explained that the previous practice was to hold 3 or 4 a year, primarily to provide guidance to the Master in order to respond to National’s requests. It was agreed that this practice would continue.
In the past the Division regularly attended these bi-annual meetings to represent the Company. However feed-back from the Company as to what position to take was not forthcoming and as the Division did not feel it should be recorded as taking a position – which would be assumed to be that of the Company – the Division no longer attends on its own merits (but some members attend of their own interest)
– Capt. Marr felt it useful for the Master to examine the C.M.L.A. National Agenda to see if the National Company would wish to take a position.
8. Division’s Direction
Captain Iskandar stated we should concentrate on devising a position/plan on three topics:-
9. Christmas Get-together
It was agreed hat it would be planned for February/March. Issues were:
Weather/atmosphere suitable for our female companions/accessibility.
10. Master’s Issues
– Captain Iskandar raised these issues:
It was reminded that the November 11 Ceremony would conclude with our Members attending being invited to a luncheon at the Château.
Captain Van Roosmalen. The Master was interested to know why a West Coast based member continued with her Membership here. It was explained that she had been a long term Member here and wished to remain on this Division’s membership
– Quebec membership. It was explained that a few years ago National had been approached by Mariners in Quebec to form their own local Membership. In the meantime National attached these Mariners to the Capital Division without reference to us. It was stated that these members still planned to open Divisions in Montreal or Rimouski, or both. Captain Jenkins felt strongly that our Division should not continue receiving these Quebec members’s portion of the Dues. In other words as we, the Capital Division, do nothing for them, they should only pay the National part of the dues. Captain Thorne raised the concern regarding the issues of providing proceedings in French.
Captain Iskandar stated that he would raise the problem with Captain Lantz and, if possible, have him appointed Special Director for the Quebec Region to see if there could be a resolution.
Captain Iskandar advised that National expects four quarterly reports from each Division, covering Local AGMs, Finances and Membership. Also “On the Bridge” requires an Annual report from each Division (assigned quarterly).
11. Other Business
– Captain Daniels. Capt. Thorne confirmed that the letter from Capt. Iskandar and the duly signed Company Certificate had been posted to Capt. Daniels thereby enshrining him as an Honorary Member.
– Captains Thorne and Jenkins expressed concern regarding the Division’s records being held by them and which in the not too distant future would be required to be moved from their homes. Captain Iskandar stated he would check the issue with Capt. Lantz
– Passing on Captain Brooks advice: Captain Hall, of the Fundy Division, would lay the Company wreath (already provided) at the Cenotaph on November 11.
– Dues. It was agreed that the Company Dues would be increased as follows;-
Full Member $200 to $300
Senior Member $100 to $150
Associate Member $100 to $150
Corporate $215 to $325
– There had been no increase for the last 5 years.
– Captain Legge wondered why the Company required extra monies when the National Headquarters’ held some $150,000 in the bank. Captain Marr explained that it had originally been planned that the Company would establish its own permanent office and staff. But this didn’t come to pass.
9. Next Divisional Meeting At the call of the Chair.
10. Adjournment Unanimous
the meeting adjourned at 1340.
bdt Oct. 31, 2019